- Visiting Scholar, Finance Dept., 2011, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
Ph.D. Degree, 2000
Dissertation Title "Purchasing Power Parity, Balanced Growth and
Volatility Forecasting: An Application of Recent Developments in
Department of Economics
University of Calgary, Canada.
Master's Degree (M.A.), 1996
Thesis Title "The Canadian Laffer Curve"
Department of Economics
University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
B.A. in Economics, 1991
Department of Economics
University of Macedonia, Greece
- Financial Economics
- International Economics
- Complex & Non-Linear Dynamics
- Divisia and Monetary Aggregation
- Forecasting Business Cycles
- Machine Learning
- Complex Networks
- Fiscal & Monetary Policy Asymmetries
Economics and Finance Notes
DUTH Research Papers in Economics
Department of International Economic Relations & Development
Democritus University of Thrace
- Macroeconomic Theory I
- Macroeconomic Theory II
- Entrepreneurship Ι
- Entrepreneurship ΙΙ
- International Economics II
- International Finance
- International Banking & Finance
• “Divisia Monetary Aggregates, the Great Ratios, and Classical Money Demand Functions”, Journal of Money Credit and Banking, with A. Serletis, forthcoming.
• “Business Cycle Synchronization in the European Union: The Effect of the Common Currency”, Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis (OECD), forthcoming.
• ''Comparison of simple sum and Divisia monetary aggregates in GDP forecasting: a support vector machines approach'', with T. Papadimitriou and E. Takli, Economics Bulletin, 33(2), pp. 1101-1115, 2013.
• "Directional forecasting in financial time series using support vector machines: the USD/Euro exchange rate", with V. Plakandaras and T. Papadimitriou, Journal of Computational Optimization in Economics and Finance, 5 (2), 2013.
• “Optimum Currency Areas within the US and Canada a Data Analysis Approach” Journal of Computational Optimization in Economics and Finance, with E. Chrysanthidou and T. Papadimitriou, 5(1), 2013.
• “Interest Rates, Leverage, and Money”, with A. Serletis and K. Istiak, Open Economies Review, 24, p. 51-78, 2013.
• “Economic Viability and Macroeconomic Impact of the Burgas - Alexandroupolis Pipeline”, with J.K. Mourmouris and T. Papadimitriou, International Journal of Economics and Management Engineering, 2(1) p. 37-62, 2012.
• “Episodic Nonlinearity in Leading Global Currencies”, with A. Serletis, A. Malliaris and M. Hinich, Open Economies Review, 23, p. 337-357, 2012.
• “GDP Trend Deviations and the Yield Spread: the Case of Five E.U. Countries”, with I. Pragidis, Journal of Economics and Finance, 36(1), p. 226-237, 2012.
• “Does the Interest Risk Premium Predict Housing Prices?”, with Ioannis Pragidis, International Journal of Economic Research, 8(1), p. 1-10, 2011.
• “The Interest Rate Spread as a Forecasting Tool of Greek Industrial Production”, with Ioannis Pragidis, International Journal of Business Policy and Economics, 3(1), 2010.
• “Forecast Evaluation in Daily Commodities Futures Markets”, with Apostolos Serletis, International Journal of Financial Markets and Derivatives, 1(2), 2010.
• “Predicting European Union Recessions in the Euro Era: The Yield Curve as a Forecasting Tool of Economic Activity”, with Dionisios Chionis and Ioannis Pragidis, International Advances in Economic Research, 16(1), February 2010.
• “Forecasting in Inefficient Commodity Markets", with Apostolos Serletis, Journal of Economic Studies, 36(4), 2009.
• “Does Financial Market Liberalization Increase the Degree of Market Efficiency? The Case of the Athens Stock Exchange”, with Daniel Cajueiro and Benjamin Tabak, International Review of Financial Analysis, 18(1), 2009.
• “The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle in an ARIMA Framework", with Apostolos Serletis, Journal of Economic Studies, vol. 34, no. 3, 2007.
• “The North American Natural Gas Markets are Chaotic”, with Apostolos Serletis, Quantitative and Empirical Analysis of Energy Markets. World Scientific Series on Energy and Resource Economics - Vol. 1, Apostolos Serletis (ed.), 2007.
• “The Revenue Smoothing Hypothesis in an ARIMA Framework: Evidence from the United States”, with Apostolos Serletis, New Trends in Macroeconomics, Claude Diebolt, Catherine Kyrtsou et al. (eds.), Springer Verlag, 2005.
• “Long-Horizon Regression Tests of the Theory of Purchasing Power Parity”, with Apostolos Serletis, Journal of Banking and Finance 28, 1961-1985, 2004.
• “Purchasing Power Parity Nonlinearity and Chaos’’, with Apostolos Serletis, Applied Financial Economics 10, 615-622, 2000.
• “The North American Natural Gas Markets are Chaotic”, with Apostolos Serletis, The Energy Journal, 20, 83-103, 1999.
• “Chaos in East European Black Market Exchange Rates” with Apostolos Serletis, Research in Economics 51, 359-385, 1997.
• “On the Construction of Personal, Corporate and Effective Overall Marginal Tax Rates for Canada (1977-1992)’’, Saskatchewan Journal of Economics, 1, 1997.